Friday, November 11, 2011

Bang Bang (but really just one bang)

I kept falling asleep all morning. Its amazing I can zonk out so effectively with my chin tucked into my collarbone. I would open my eyes in panic and scan around me. Twenty seconds later my head would be lolling forward again. I ended up standing for awhile to jolt the senses, and not long after sitting again, I saw movement and I watched as a camouflaged tan body made its way up the bluff (on a deer path) and in my direction. I frantically moved my hand at my side, shaking it to get my dads attention beside me. I even hit the gnarled bark of the giant oak tree next to me, just short of panicking to let  him know. I discretely pointed to the deer, and he put his scope on it. I could tell it was a buck. I couldn't tell how big it's antlers were.
It made its way closer, slowly climbing  to my right. I watched through my sight, I kept the shaking red dot focused in the right place when he finally said "take the shot." That's all I needed to hear (that the buck was big enough to take), so when it stopped, perfectly displaying its side for me to shoot, I slowly squeezed the trigger. Whoops. The safety was still on.
Shaking even more, I watched as the deer made its way through thick brush. Dang it! I blew it. Its not going to stop now (insert additional frustrated shaking that inspires additional panic shaking). When it moved out of the brush, I followed with my gun, and again pulled the trigger (only this time the safety was effectively disabled). I shot him in the neck and he dropped instantly.

I got my first buck on 11-11-11. I already envision the mini antlers on display in my future outdoorsy, fire-placed library in my cabin home up north. I'll look at them, scanning to the very large and unbelievably impressive trophies next to it (including the red stag) and I'll think, yes, that one was memorable because it was a first, because it made my heart skip, because my sister was there to give me a knuckle bump, and because once again I had my dad there to tell me it was of legal size, to tell me to take the shot, and to reteach me how to field dress the deer (and take over when I puncture the stomach).

No comments:

Post a Comment